Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Whole Wheat Bread (option for rye)

2/3 c honey
2/3 c oil
6 c warm water
1/2-1 c gluten flour
3 T yeast
2 T salt
14-18 c whole wheat flour
1/2-1c gluten flour
3T dough enhancer

-sponge all water and yeast with 2 c flour for 15min

-add honey, oil, salt and 2 c flour, mix well
-add gluten flour and whole wheat flour as needed for a sticky dough
(this is key, it will be a sticky dough, do not add too much flour or you'll end up with a dense loaf, and the gluten flour REALLY helps the loaf turn out fluffy and greatly reduces the amount of flour needed)
-knead 10min

Yield 5 loaves
(My mixer can't handle this amount so I slighty over 1/2 the recipe and get 3 loaves)

Rye option:
-replace up to 1/2 of the whole wheat flour with rye flour and add 2-3 T caraway seeds
-molassas can be used instead of honey

2 comments:

Ruby said...

Hi! I hopped over from SL. This recipe seems to be just what I'm looking for...100% whole wheat without a lot of fancy, spendy ingredients!
Thanks for sharing!
Ruby/4them

Rebecca said...

I hope you like it. My family LOVES this recipe, that I got originally from my sil :)